When Saving Money on Your Business Turns You into a Murderer

03-11-2015 | Ramona |

More than 30 40 63 young people DIED and almost 200 were injured.

Burnt alive in a music club, during a rock album release.

No, contrary to what some news outlets believed, there was no explosion.

It all started from a simple cake firework.

The type you are probably using at little Johnny’s birthdays. Or your wedding night.

How can something so simple kill tens of people?

How can a small firework we’re probably all using even in our homes can destroy hundreds of lives?

Someone was really into saving money

The owners chose soundproofing that was flammable (very flammable actually). They had polystyrene decor on the ceilings, again not treated to become fireproof. That costs money and the owners were trying to keep a budget.

There was ONE exit only. For more than 300 people who attended the event.

There were very few fire extinguishers, no trace of any sprinklers system or anything that would be able to keep the fire at bay at least few minutes so that lives would be saved.

Greed let the owners to allow more than 80 people (as the club is approved to host) for the event. There were hundreds in an old factory turned into a death trap of a club.

Let’s not forget the rampant coruption

No building can function without permits. All kinds of them. From the Health Department, Fire Department, Police etc.

As you can guess the club had ‘some’ papers in order, but some were of the safety requirements were not met.

How could the authorities not know?

They knew. They got their bribes and just moved on. And over 30 40 people died, while almost 200 were severely injured.

Save money as much as you can on your business

No, I’m not contradicting myself here.

All of us, personal finance bloggers, try to find all kinds of ideas to help you in your money saving quest. From getting a smaller office space, smartly partitioning it, to purchasing pre-owned furniture or computers or many more creative ways to stick to a small budget.

Don’t skimp on safety though.

Don’t use flammable soundproofing and then allow for indoor fireworks.

Don’t get one door only, when the law in your country requires more (and wider at the same time).

Don’t let your greed dictate how you do business, don’t endanger your customers well being for few bucks.

In one night you’d be losing your freedom and your livelihood.

There’s absolutely nothing I could comment when it comes to the HUGE tragedy that hit so many families. How young people (most in their 20’s, one was actually 15) died, when a proper club setting would have saved most of their lives. How few heroes went back into the flames few times to save lives and eventually died there.

I am sure NOBODY wanted for this to happen, but our mistakes can sometimes be very costly.

If you like what you are reading, please share. Thank you :)

Recent Comments

  • jANE

    November 4, 2015 at 12:56 pm

    Money makes people mean, that’s a proven fact. The problem is that there should be a limit, because consequences could be devastating.

    I have read about this on the news, and my heart goes out to all the families who lost their loved ones in this terrible tragedy 🙁

    Like you said, I can understand having a business is sometimes difficult, but saving money should be helpful, not the other way around!

    • Ramona

      November 13, 2015 at 11:58 am

      They really cut corners A LOT with their business and unfortunately tens of people have already died in horrible pain and we’re still not done counting them, because of the severity of their burns and the intoxication. I am sure no one intended for this to happen (the owners are clearly not psychos), but cutting corners like this did kill people. A lot of them.

  • Theodore Nwangene

    November 6, 2015 at 4:49 am

    This is really tragedic Ramona,
    This is the same thing that is happening everywhere in the world. Because of greediness, people will be dying anyhow all because you want more money. You prefer money to human lives.
    How can a club have only one door? Is that not insane? and the government will pretend they don’t know about it.

    Its only God that will save us from all these mess.

    • Ramona

      November 13, 2015 at 11:59 am

      Well, it did have one door only and it’s not the only one. Many stores here have BLOCKED their fire escape door, to save us space or whatever idiotic reasons they could come up with. Many people are now sending photos and reports to the fire departments in our cities to ‘ask’ the owners about this and fine them.

  • Jasmine2015

    November 8, 2015 at 7:41 pm

    I can understand wanting to cut corners in order to save a few bucks. Though no matter what you can’t cut corners on safety. I hope the families are able to pull themselves together and overcome this tragedy. You can always get some money when it is lost. Though you can’t get a loved one back from death.

    • Ramona

      November 13, 2015 at 12:09 pm

      Yeah, it’s really tragic. Imagine most were young or very young (15), some even had kids (the janitor lady there, who also died in the initial fire, had 5 KIDS at home and she was a single parent).

  • Angelina M.

    November 13, 2015 at 9:35 am

    I’m speechless 🙁 Honestly, I really am! Corruption is everywhere and, without any doubt, we are surrounded by greediness, but penny pinching should pay off, not destroy lives 🙁

    • Ramona

      November 13, 2015 at 12:10 pm

      Yeah, just not saving some money on the soundproofing materials would have saved lives. The entire club was in flames in SECONDS, instead of minutes. Not to mention the sponge that was used also had some weird chemicals on it, that also killed many victims who at first seemed to be stable.

  • corden

    November 20, 2015 at 7:42 pm

    Wow. This is awful. I am all about saving money but I believe there needs to be a balance. We have to have ethics in business or someone will always get hurt. Cutting corners like this is inexcusable. I guess it costs less to bribe someone than to get the premises up to code. Shameful!

  • Alessya

    November 26, 2015 at 10:11 am

    Wait, what?
    Reading your article made me very sad. I’m all for saving money as well, but not at the expense of people’s safety!

  • Timmy Stark

    April 30, 2016 at 8:36 am

    Unfortunately, corruption is everywhere, either at low levels (like, “convincing” a cop not to give you a fine for a broken taillight) or high. Corruption is a very very bad thing either way, but saving money should be done in a careful manner. Music clubs earn a crapload of money anyway, so I can’t even begin to understand why would they overlook the safety of their clients.

  • tabby

    May 14, 2016 at 12:08 pm

    Oh, my! This is such an awful tragedy. There should be NO compromising on SAFETY. Savings through compromise use of materials can only afford savings in the short-term. In the long term, it just won’t do and a tragedy such as described here could have been prevented. A similar incident happened in my country years ago, too. It’s just so bad when lives are lost because someone scrimped on safety. Hopefully, those who allowed this to happen were held accountable, especially those officials who received bribery.

  • Kara Rios

    June 13, 2016 at 8:55 pm

    Stories like this really show the greed that people have. I can understand cutting a budget to save money but to not have things up to code and put other people’s lives in danger is outrageous.

    The ironic part is if they would’ve used the money that they spent bribing people to actually do what they should’ve done to the building they probably would’ve ended up saving money in the end.

    This is an all around story of greed, from the owners to the people who looked the other way. The deaths of the victims is on their hands.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


©2018 Personal Finance Blog. All Rights Reserved. Created by The Medically.